STREETSBORO 1822 - 1840

Streetsboro is situated twenty-six miles from Cleveland. The C.C. & S. Railroad runs through the western part of the township and the C. & P. crosses its southwestern corner.

Streetsboro was the last township in the county to be settled, owing to the high price which the owner, Mr. Titus STREETS, put upon the land. Settlement began in 1822 and '23. Settlers came in rapidly, some even having their cabins just a trifle across the way before that time.

In great contrast to the long ago is our town of the present time. In place of the rude cabin, with its door hung upon wooden hinges, creaking as it turned, we have fine homes and well-kept farms. In lieu of the ox-cart we have our carriages, and luxuries adorn our homes.

The first school taught in the township was kept by Clarinda CASE in the northwest corner of the township. Her father worked on the Cleveland and Wellsville turnpike. She boarded the hands and taught school, consisting of eight pupils.

The first school taught at the center of the township was kept by Almara TAYLOR, of Aurora, who afterward became the wife of Cadwalleder CRAWFORD.

The writer has not been able to learn much of her except that she was an excellent woman. Although better off than most of her neighbors, it was her delight to visit the less fortunate, especially if in distress; to carry to them of her bountiful store, and in many ways showing her good works. Mrs. CRAWFORD was born in Aurora and settled here about 1828.

The families of LANEs and STUARTs came among the early settlers, the STUARTs coming in the year 1828. Mrs. STUART's maiden name was Mary VIETS. Her parents came from Becket, Mass., and settled in Aurora, where she was married and lived until her oldest son William, now Lawyer STUART, of Ravenna, was born. When he was yet a babe they came to this place, she on horseback carrying her child; and all the road through what is now a beautiful country, with well kept farms, was then only marked by blazed trees. Mrs. STUART died many years ago. She was quiet, retiring, and a home-keeper; she died in 1828.

The Presbyterian church of this place was first partly organized at the home of David LANE, January 13, 1833. The following day being the Sabbath, Rev. Beriah GREEN preached, and arrangements were made by which a society could be kept together. They were strict in those days, for in looking over the church records, we find that no one could mail or take mail from the post office on Sabbath days. Persons could be excluded from the church communion if they sang louder than the elders thought best.

Matters were brought before the church of many descriptions, and the spiritual welfare of all was most jealously guarded.

Cinderella BALDWIN came with her parents from Connecticut in 1816, and to the town of Atwater, where they made their home.

The journey from Conn. Was made in a wagon and took four weeks. When near the line of Ohio, a son, aged ten years, who had been sick on the way grew worse, and they were obliged to stop and care for him. Before many days he died; they laid him to rest under a pile of logs, and with sad hearts took up the journey again.

In after years their home, in company with a brother's across the way, became a station on the underground railroad, where many a poor slave was helped on his way to freedom. When Cinderella was ten years old she spun a skein of eight hundred threads; the thread was so fine that she drew the entire skein through her thimble. A part of the linen was woven into curtains, and is still in the possession of the spinner.

In 1832 she became the wife of Enos PAGE and came to his home in Streetsboro. Her early training had well fitted her to become the wife of a pioneer.

The first year of their married life they had no chimney, the smoke going out of a hole in the roof, and the fire built on the ground a step below the floor. They afterwards built one of sticks and mud. Five children were born to them the youngest, a son, is now living on the place where we believe his parents first settled. Together they toiled early and late, plenty finally smiling upon them.

They were among those who founded the Baptist church, and were always to be found doing the will of the Lord. They lived together 50 years, Mr. PAGE dying in 1885. Mrs. PAGE is still living at the age of 85. It is to her daughter, Mrs. Mary MELLEN, of Ravenna, with whom she resides, that we are indebted for this history of Mrs. PAGE.

Julia Dunn LITTLE (Mrs. O.E. HANNUM) settled in Streetsboro in 1835, coming from Middlefield, Conn. She was a woman of sweet disposition and rare intelligence, the mother of eight children, to whom the best of all was given, namely, a good education. Two daughters were teachers in our common schools for years, much beloved by their pupils.

The last few years of Mrs. HANNUM's life was spent in Denver, Col., where she died, February 9, 1893.

Polly RUSSELL was born in Chester, Mass., March, 1806, and came with her parents to Ohio in 1811, settling in Aurora. March, 1826, she married Luther RUSSELL, and with him commenced pioneer life in Streetsboro.

Within the shadow of the old forest they built their log cabin. While the husband felled the sturdy denizens of the wood and prepared the primitive soil for cultivation, she was not idle. Together they endured all the trials and privations that fall to those living in a new country. Five children were born to them. Mr. RUSSELL died in 1878. Mrs. RUSSELL, or Aunt Polly, as she was better known in the community, was a good woman, of a gentle and retiring disposition, seldom in the later years of her life going beyond the confines of her own home.

Her life was full of good deeds; several orphan children looked upon her as mother. She died in the month of September, 1896, at the ripe age of 90, widely known as one of the oldest pioneers of Portage County.

Of the five children born to Mrs. RUSSELL, one, Miss Libbie, born 1834, is still living and with willing hand has taken up the work that her mother laid down. An aunt, an invalid for years, is being cared for in her own home. Her good deeds, like her mother's, are legion; very unostentatious, her left hand known not what her right hand has done.

A promising young editor in a flourishing Indiana city, owes his start in life to her timely help and sympathy. Always kind and sympathetic, she is much beloved. She has been in poor health for a number of years; before that her noiseless footstep in many homes where the death angel had laid his pitiless hand, has been like a blessing from heaven. She has covered up for the last time the faces of so many of our dead, that we owe her this tribute:

"For God who knows each separate soul, Out of our commonplace lives makes his beautiful whole."

Anna NORTH, of Middletown, Middlesex County, Conn. Became the consort of Daniel JOHNSON, 1806, and with him came to Ohio. They first settled in Hudson, afterward among the earliest settlers of the northwest portion of this township. She was the mother of seven daughters and two sons. Her husband was a soldier in the war of 1812.

Her granddaughter relates of her, that during his absence Mrs. JOHNSON used to lay the pitchfork at the head of the bed in case the Indians came in the night to disturb her and her little flock. Such an act shows the courage and strength of a woman, left alone in the wilds of a new country, with Indians and fierce animals to guard against.

In the course of time Mr. JOHNSON returned from the wars and lived for many years afterward. At his death she received a land grant from the government for 160 acres of land, which she sold for two hundred dollars.

Mr. JOHNSON received fifty dollars for building the first frame house in the township. The reward was given by Titus STREETS, the owner of the town. They were both energetic, ambitious people, good citizens. Before his death Mr. JOHNSON laid out a burial place, which he wished to be kept for his family and their descendants. At the death of the wife, Harriet (Mrs. John TROTTER) the second daughter, inherited her mother's portion, which at her decease, she willed to her daughter, Mrs. HAYES. Mr. JOHNSON's wishes have been respected all these years and the little city of the dead still remains and is well cared for.

Mrs. JOHNSON died in 1834; her daughters were Jerusha (Mrs. Orrin GILLMORE), Harriet (Mrs. John TROTTER), Lucetta (Mrs. Francis BROOM), Hepsebeth (Mrs. Cyril PARKER), Fanny (Mrs. Albert PLUM), and Chloe, who died at 18 years of age.

Susanna MARTIN was united in marriage to G.B. McGREW, Enon Valley, Pa., 1838. Their bridal trip was a journey to Streetsboro, to the home he had made for her some time before. It was a comfortable log house, located Pennsylvania fashion, beside a nice spring of water, about a quarter of a mile from the woods, mostly maple trees.

She commenced housekeeping in the primitive style of those days; all the cooking was done over the open fireplace. The kettles were suspended on hooks that were hung on a crane over the fire; the baking was mostly done in an out-door brick oven. Sometimes a small baking of bread would be done in a bake kettle; coals would be raked upon the hearth and the kettle set on and covered up with an iron lid, then covered with coals. Later on she purchased a tin oven, which was set in front of the fire-place, and thought to be a great improvement over the bake kettle. Ten children were born to her, two dying in infancy. She early united with the Presbyterian Church, and went to church on horseback, often carrying two little boys behind her, and a babe in her arms.

As the family increased, they rode in a lumber wagon, drawn by oxen. The children were early taught to attend church under all and every circumstance. The pastor could always find a welcome and a home within her doors. The writer can testify that others could, also.

Her warm motherly heart was large enough to take in the whole world. Her death occurred February, 1884.

"And if we believe that Christ died and rose again, even so those that sleep in Jesus will God bring with him."

Lois Julia MATHEWS, who first saw the light of this world in Westfield, Mass., came to Ohio in the year 1834, and settled in Streetsboro four years later. She was the wife of Orman THOMAS and has been a resident of the town 58 years; her husband has been dead several years, but lived until after the celebration of their golden wedding, which took place in 1888. Mrs. THOMAS is passionately fond of flowers. Before failing health prevented, her garden was a thing of beauty, the whole summer long, neither has she kept it all for herself, having scattered her seeds and flowers with a liberal hand. Now, at over eighty years of age, she is bright and ambitious. Except failing eyesight she is in full possession of all her faculties.

Elizabeth STUART was born in Stow, Summitt County, O., in 1807, and came to Streetsboro in 1827, the young wife of Robert LAPPIN. They settled in the west part of the township. When they first began their home life they had no door, except a blanket for the day and a few rude boards placed in position at night. She was the mother of four boys and three girls.

When the oldest child was about ten years old, and the youngest a babe, her husband died, leaving her to rear her family. She had to battle along alone as best she could.

She took good care of her own. Her oldest child married and died, leaving a baby girl, Sara PECK (now Mrs. M.G. GARRISON), to her mother's care. The grandmother became a mother to the wee toddler. How well she performed her trust none knows better than the child herself, who is now the loved and honored wife of our county treasurer, M.G. GARRISON.

I might enumerate yet further many virtues, but space forbids. She is now, at the age of 89, the beloved and honored one in the family circle, a sweet old lady, well and happy, and can look unblushingly back over the record of a well spent life, full of home ties and endearments, which to a womanly woman is the best gift that God can give.

Esther BLACKMAN, born in Chester, N.Y., was the daughter of Samuel and Esther BLACKMAN, who came to Aurora about the year 1808, the journey being taken in an ox cart. She was the eldest of a family of four children and was married to Elisha STAUNTON in 1826.

The young couple located at first in Shalersville, where the husband opened a store; they resided there until the winter of 1835, when they removed to Streetsboro, and spent the remainder of their lives. They lived together fifty-nine years. Two children were born to them, both residents of our town. Mr. STAUNTON was Justice of the Peace, and a Godly man. He died in 1885. Mrs. STAUNTON was a woman of rare goodness and piety, always cheerful and benign. Her face reminded the writer of a smooth, placid river. No matter what the undercurrents were the face never showed anything but the "peace that passeth understanding." Her daughter, Mrs. O.D. PATTERSON, when speaking to us of her, said that she never would allow anyone in her presence to speak unkindly of another "you must be charitable!" was her invariable rebuke to the gossip or talebearer. Like Shakespeare, she though, "He who steals my purse, steals trash, but he who filches from me my good name, takes that which ne'er enriches him and makes me poor indeed." No one could see and know such a woman without being helped and strengthened in the duties of life. She died in 188_.

Miss Clarina BRONSON, born in Winchester, Conn., 1813, at 20 years of age was married to Charles BENTLY. They started immediately for their new home in Streetsboro. Ohio was termed the far west, and it took weeks to travel the distance which is only now a trip of eighteen hours. Those were the days when a letter was a treasure value, for the postage was twenty-five cents, and the person who received the letter paid the postage.

Mr. BENTLY died in 1848, leaving his wife and three children on the farm where they had began. Mrs. BENTLY was a woman of great strength of character, and wonderful tenderness. The heavy burdens that were laid upon her at the death of her husband, she took up and bore bravely. As her historian says of her, now after her death: "She came of a typical New England family, of plain living and 'high thinking.' There was always time in her life to do good, she was a devout church woman, and the good of church and home was always uppermost in her heart."

It was a happy day for the mother when her only daughter, Miss Luette BENTLY, graduated with honor at the Lake Erie Seminary, in Painesville, Ohio. The daughter afterwards became a teacher in the school, and is now devoting her life to the noble work, in the same place where she received her training.

The last years of the mother's life were spent in Painesville with her daughter, and at her decease, the home which her soul had lived in was brought back to Streetsboro for burial, which occurred in December, 1887.

Miss Electa BRONSON came to Ohio to be with her sister, Mrs. BENTLY, 1841. The joy of her life was to teach the children, and nearly every winter and summer for almost thirty years, she taught in the schools of Hudson and Streetsboro, and men and women of middle life can bear witness to the wonderful enthusiasm of Miss BRONSON as a teacher, as also that many were the lessons learned from her not to be found in books. Her interest in her pupils did not cease when the terms ended, but through all the years of her life she was a tender, helpful friend.

She, together with her sister, Mrs. BENTLY, were the "leading spirits" in fitting up a large unused room over a store for a select school, sometime in the early sixties. Here Miss BRONSON, or "Aunt Lecta," (as most of us called her), taught, as well as others. The building unfortunately in a few years took fire and was burned to the ground. The last years of her life were spent in her native state.

Sarah Ann WRIGHT, of Hudson, was married to Losa CASE, May, 1837. The first time Mr. CASE met her, she wore a plain shawl, a calico dress of her own make, a sunbonnet of the same kind with paper board for stiffening; rather a plain costume for a young lady - at least the young woman of the present generation of laces and furbelows would think it to be.

The April before they were married she rode on horseback behind her betrothed husband to Streetsboro, to see the tamarac log cabin which he had built and which afterwards became her home.

There they began housekeeping. Her marriage dowry was two feather beds (the feather being picked from the geese by the young bride prior to her wedding), an iron teakettle, a small iron pot, and a basket of dishes, which her father brought to her. The father of Mr. CASE gave him five dollars to make the first payment on their humble home. With such gifts and helps which were generous offerings in those days, they began life. In her husband's own words to the writer: "I would say as did Solomon, she proved to be a great blessing, a prudent wife from the Lord."

They were church people, used to come to church in an ox cart, and often in a stone boat; none except those who have ridden in that fashion know how to appreciate it. No doubt they, with their health and strength, took as much solid comfort in that way, as they enjoyed when in years afterward, they rode in their carriage behind a prancing team of horses.

With her husband she showed an interest in the underground railroad, which in those times ran from one cabin to another. It often was a hard matter for a fugitive to get through, their conductors many times risking life and property in their endeavors to succor the escaping slave.

One Friday night, about 1850, seven colored people were brought under cover of the night to their home; word had been received a few hours before of their coming, and notice that extra precaution must be taken, as fears were entertained that they were being shadowed. The poor blacks were concealed in the barn, so badly frightened they hardly dared to stir. On Sunday afternoon the young daughter, now Mrs. Ella SCOTT, of Hudson, prevailed upon them to go to the home for their dinner, after which they sang a few of their negro songs. About nine o'clock in the evening, Mr. CASE took them into his buggy and carried them to the next station in Northfield, that conductor carrying them to Cleveland, putting them onto the boat which conveyed them to Canada. Mrs. Case died 188_.

The families of the DOOLITTLEs and FOOTEs arrived together from New Milford, Conn., Christmas, 1825. They settled in the eastern part of the township, living together in a double log house, until Mr. FOOTE could prepare a place for his family.

Laura PALMER-FOOTE was a stirring, ambitious woman, the mother of twelve children, nine of whom lived to reach maturity. She did nobly the work a pioneer woman was called upon to do spinning and weaving the cloth for the family, as well as flax for beds and napery.

Well do we remember the wide old-fashioned kitchen, with the fire-place and brick oven at its side, which on baking days held such dauntless stores of goodies. The pies and custards, which came out from grandma's oven have never been surpassed.

Mrs. Alamanda DOOLITTLE, the daughter-in-law of Benjamin DOOLITTLE, is living near the place where the first house was built. A rose tree is planted near where the old chimney stood; in fact the chimney stone is still in its place where it has rested since 1825. If the old landmarks had tongues what tales would be told of hopes and fears, of griefs and graves.

The present Mrs. DOOLITTLE is a widow. There are several families in town who are her descendants. She is in her 78th year, has always enjoyed unusual health and vigor, until a few months ago, when she had the misfortune to fall down the cellar stairs and a broken hip and dislocated wrist was the consequence.

Mrs. DOOLITTLE has a great deal of the hardy pioneer spirit, strong in her likes and dislikes, much attached to her family. She has in her possession a towel over one hundred years old, spun by her maternal grandmother, Lucy GREEN, of Bethel, Vermont.

Martha ROGERS was born in Champlain, N.Y., in 1797, married Tyler WING in 1814, moved to Ohio in 1832. Whether Streetsboro was the first place of residence our informant does not tell us, but it undoubtedly was, as within the early memory of an old resident, she lived upon the place now occupied by Mr. BIERCE. She was a woman who had been in very poor health, but received much benefit from the change of climate, and was soon able to do all the work for her family of five boys and two girls.

In the spring of '52 she moved to Auburn, O., where she died aged eighty-seven.

Previous to 1822 no white person had ever made a home in Streetsboro. Occasionally travelers, campers, maybe surveyors, had penetrated its then unbroken forests, but not until that year had the ax been laid at the root for a clearing for the white man's cabin.

To such a primitive home, prepared by Stephen MYERS, did he bring his wife Rebecca and their infant daughter Lucinda. In September of 1822, Stephen had put up a log house, now the property of E.C. CRISPELL; the family moving in before its completion. There were no windows; a quilt served as a door by day, the opening being boarded up at night to ensure the safety of the inmates against the attacks of wild animals, and fires were built out-of-doors to keep creatures at a distance.

Even these precautions failed to keep them away at all times, for emboldened by hunger, or by the contemplation of a feast, while the family were in the house, a bear came in broad daylight and killed a hog. A gun was set, which, fortunately for the winter's larder, was successful in killing the bear.

Neighbors were no nearer than a mile, and that not until 1823, when Samuel WALKER and wife moved in from Hudson.

What wonder that Mrs. MYERS was very much afraid to be left alone, when addition to the wild beasts, it was no unfamiliar sight to see ten or a dozen Indians filing by on their way to the river to hunt and fish.

This pioneer mother, Rebecca WALKER MYERS was born in Georgetown, Va., and died in Hudson, 1879, aged eighty-three. Of her five daughters all are living, above the age of sixty, only one of whom resides in Streetsboro; Elizabeth, Mrs. D.F. McGREW, from whom and her sister Lucinda, Mrs. Benjamin DeHAVEN of Northfield, O. we have received this information.

The third settler, Isaac STREATOR, in 1824, built a log house upon the farm now owned by Miss Emma D. PATTERSON, and in March of that year, Susan STREATOR, Isaac's daughter, then a girl of sixteen, came to keep house for her father and brother, Alpheus, while they cleared four acres of ground, planting it to corn.

That accomplished, they returned to their home in Aurora, leaving the young girl to her spinning and the care of the crop, which needed constant watchfulness to preserve it from the depredations of the wild hogs, then a numerous, savage horde. Wolves, too came to the very doors snarling and snapping their teeth.

One day, while alone, Susan took a walk of about half a mile into the woods east of the house, coming to a fallen tree, lying well up from the ground; she placed her hands upon it, gave a spring, alighting on her feet upon the log, and was astonished to see confronting her a man upon horseback, who looked up smilingly into her face and said "Little girl, I guess you are lost," to which she replied, "No, I am not," when he informed that anyway he was, and did not know which way to go. She gave him the direction desired, he thanked her and rode away, to her great relief.

Afterward, telling her father of the meeting with the stranger, he told her the man was Jim BROWN the counterfeiter who had been living in the woods all summer. In the fall of that same year, he was arrested, tried and sent to the State's prison.

Susan was born in 1807 in Becket, Mass. and came to Ohio when nine years old, walking nearly half the way. She was present at the first wedding in Streetsboro, in February, 1826, herself the bride, and Alonzo ROOT of Shalersville the groom. They settled upon the farm, now owned by Henry SAWYER, changing in 1835, to the farm now the property of their son Wallace, and where the husband died in 1843.

In 1846 she was married again to Lewis GREEN, and about 1864 changed her residence to Hartford, Wis., where she buried her second husband. In 1888 she went to Crete, Neb., where she is spending a quiet old age at the home of her daughter Mrs. Augusta WING, and it is from her pen at the age of eighty-nine that we receive this valuable information regarding her own history, and much that will be given elsewhere in the narration of other characters.

Clarina PLUMB was born in Middleton, Conn., in 1786, married Isaac H. STREATOR, came to Ohio in 1816 accomplishing the journey in six weeks, with an ox team, moved to Streetsboro in 1824. Of her daughters other than Susan, mentioned elsewhere, Charity married Obadiah ROOT, and died in Louisville, Ky.; Paulina married Calvin GREEN, and while yet a young woman, died in Streetsboro.

Orilla married Alpheus STREATOR and is still living, a lovable Christian woman in Braceville, O., and Artemicia, the wife of Edward KENT, a son of Zenas KENT, lives in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Clarina STREATOR is remembered as of gentle disposition, kind to all about her. The closing years of her life were spent at the home of Dr. W.S. STREATOR of Euclid avenue, Cleveland, not in idleness but having ever in remembrance the words of Christ "Ye have the poor always with you," she filled her days with good works and deeds.

It is to her son, W.S. STREATOR, and a grandson, Harold A. STREATOR that we are indebted for much of the data relating to the STREATOR and PLUMB genealogy. The sole representatives of the STREATOR family now living in Streetsboro are Wallace ROOT and family, Wallace being a son and Susan and Alonzo ROOT.

Hannah ALDERMAN STREATOR came to Mentor, O. in 1816. In 1830, after the death of her husband, Isaac Heminway STREATOR, she came to Streetsboro to find a home with her only son, Isaac H., where she remained until her death in 1847, aged eighty-nine. She was a strong, able-bodied woman, who, when seventy years old went to Connecticut on horseback to visit her mother, then a woman of ninety, whom she found in perfect health, engaged in spinning flax, able to work all day or walk two or three miles.

Abigail WINTERS, wife of Benjamin ROOT, arrived in Streetsboro in the early thirties. But little is remembered of her other than her exceptionally fine housekeeping. She died near Louisville, Ky. Of her many children and grandchildren who once lived in Streetsboro, but one remains, Wallace ROOT, a grandson, all others having found homes elsewhere or passed on to the great beyond. One of her daughters, Clarissa, born in Canada, December, 1816, was married in Streetsboro to Rev. Philander GREEN, November, 1835; went to Norton, O., returning to Streetsboro for the years '36 to '38. She died in 1839, leaving two little boys, Frank, now Rev. F.M. GREEN of Stowe, O., and Wallace, for many years a resident of Alliance, O.

The aged husband, who resides with his son, F.M. GREEN, gives us the dates and writes further concerning the young wife of long ago, "She was a good girl, and fair to look upon, a good Christian a good wife and mother, and no one knows how much I want to see her."

One of Abigail ROOT's sons, Decalvus, married Martha HARMON, of Mantua, the "Martha Carmen" in "The Portrait" by A.G. RIDDLE, who the author thus describes, "Little demure Martha was twenty, a shapely, sweet girl, with black piquant eyes, and full of womanly ways. She had been very thoroughly educated, and her hands and presence had shed an air of grace and refinement over and through the farm house, which such a young woman can only glamour a home with."

Five or six years of Martha's married life were spent in Streetsboro, on the farm now occupied by William HILL, Jr., and where, at least, two of her daughters were born, Mary, Mrs. William PIERCE of Mantua, and Abigail, who married s southern gentleman by the name of MARKS.

Eliza WOODHOUSE, a descendant of Lord Dudley, or England, was born in Westerfield, Conn., 1801, where she was married 1826 to Josiah COMBS. In 1837, with her husband and four little girls, she came to Streetsboro, arriving in a midnight snow storm.

The family settled upon the farm now owned by a daughter, Frances COMBS, and where the mother died, May, 1873. Mrs. COMBS was a fine looking, intelligent lady, particularly fond of reading; social in her nature, and given to hospitality; an excellent cook, and expert needle-woman. Her daughters have in their possession many articles of her handiwork, among them, their father's wedding coat, fine embroideries, and dainty articles of feminine adorning.

Owing to a disease of the eyes, the last eight years of her life were spent in darkness, but bearing all with patience and resignation, she still labored with her hands, knitting, doing plain sewing and other simple work. She was the mother of eight children, three of whom reside in Streetsboro - Elizabeth, Mrs. Charles PACKER; Lucy, Mrs. Wallace ROOT, and Frances M. COMBS; two in Michigan - Kate, Mrs. Henry STONE of Rutland, and Ellen, Mrs. Nathaniel RUSSELL of Pioneer. Two daughters died in Streetsboro, Sarah, and Addie, Wife of Hart L. RISLEY.

Ardelia SUTLIFF, wife of William McGREW came from Springfield, O. sometime in the early thirties, and by the death of her husband in 1838, was left with the care of six children, all under ten years of age. She was again married to James HIGGINS, by whom she had four children. About the time of 1855 or '56 she moved to Stowe, O., where she died.

Mercy SEYMOUR, of Castile, N.Y., came here with her husband Samuel OLIN in 1839. Mr. OLIN was a widower with seven children when she became his wife.

The journey from York was accomplished with horses, their goods being loaded in three wagons. After locating here Mr. OLIN built a large brick home, which for many years was known as "Olin's Inn." It is now the home of O.S. DOOLITTE, a grandson of Mr. OLIN, and called Olin's Corners.

No doubt it was as much due to the faithful and efficient management of the wife, as to the jolly good nature of the husband, that they flourished and prospered. She was as kind and good to her husband's children as to her own; indeed, everyone who knew her can testify to her largeness of heart, especially to the unfortunate and suffering.

She was the mother of seven children, one dying in infancy. They carried on the hotel work for eleven years until the Cleveland & Pittsburg R.R. destroyed the business. The last few years of her life were passed in a beautiful home which her husband built, not far from the first one. Now together they lie in the beautiful Evergreen cemetery, which together they donated to the town. She died April 23, 1880.

All honor and praise to the pioneer women of our town, and every other. Well we know the foundation upon which the fair structure has been builded, was helped in the laying by the brave women, who so nobly shared the early trials of pioneer life. For what is there that a woman will not do for those to whom she has given "the crown jewel of her being," her heart's devotion and love! It is the same the world over, whether high of low, rich or poor, bond or free, the sacrifices of woman for loved ones are always free and willing.

        Mrs. Ella COWLEY
Streetsboro Committee - Mrs. E.C. ROOT, Miss Lucy SPERRY


© 1996-2005 The OHGenWeb Project
All Rights Reserved