The township of Northfield is about eighteen miles south of
Cleveland, and about the same distance from Akron. The name
given to the town at an early day was thought to be a very
appropriate one, as it was on the extreme north side of Portage
County then, and Summit County now.
With the Ohio canal and the Valley Railway upon the west, the
Cleveland &Pitsburg Railroad upon the east, and the A.B. & C.
Electric Railway passing directly through the center of the
town, the transportation facilities are all that could be
Historians have written that Northfield, for various reasons,
was accounted one of the best townships in the Reserve, although
not settled at as early a day as some of the neighboring
The first white settler was Isaac BACON,
a native of Boston, Mass., coming with his family in April 1807,
and for three years his was the only white family in town. Mrs.
BACON (Nancy CRANMER) was often heard to
remark that for six months after their arrival she saw the face
of no white woman, save the reflection of her own in some clear
pool of water. With this family commences the history of our
In 1810 Mr. BACON's brother-in-law,
Jeremiah CRANMER, arrived and built a cabin within half a mile
of his own. There was great excitement occasioned by the war of
1812. Mr. BACON was drafted and ordered to Cleveland, but was
soon discharged. In November, 1812, he was taken sick and died,
and was buried on Tinker's Creek. Prior to this the family had,
in 1808, lost an infant daughter, her death being the first in
Another daughter of this family, Loretta, eventually became
the second wife of Benjamin WAITE. She was
a very worthy woman. Her daughters were Loretta, Emily, Olive,
Ada and Maude. Sarah, the daughter of Mr.
WAITE's first wife, married Matthew
Mrs. Daniel S. STANLEY (Hannah CRANMER)
was the youngest daughter of Jeremiah and Hannah (COLE)
CRANMER. Her parents were the second family in the township.
She was married in 1820. In 1830 Mr. STANLEY purchased the farm
in Northfield, a short distance south of the center, now the
home of their son. M.W. STANLEY. Mr. and Mrs. STANLEY were
charter members of the M.E. Church, organized July 21, 1831.
Throughout her life Mrs. STANLEY honored her profession in a
quiet, unobtrusive way. She was a kindly, hospitable woman and
the Methodist preachers and their wives always felt sure of a
warm welcome at Sister STANLEY's.
She was the mother of four daughters, Mary, Esther, Sarah and
Emeline. Her children revere her memory and "rise up and call
Mrs. Mary (STANLEY) SMITH, eldest
daughter of Mrs. STANLEY, distinctly remembers many incidents of
pioneer life. She has in her possession letters written
eighty-five years ago, which, with other relics of pioneer days,
she prizes highly. She is an exemplary Christian woman, now the
widow of David SMITH, formerly of Ravenna, but later of
Mrs. STANLEY's five sisters were: Nancy (Mrs. Isaac
EAMES), Roxanna (Mrs. Henry
PYLE), Eunice (Mrs. William
CLIFFORD), Sally (Mrs. George
JOHNSON), and Esther (Mrs. Henry
Mrs. PYLE was the second child born in the township.
Uncle Harry WOOD, as he was familiarly called, who married
Esther, one of the five sisters named, often boasted that he
married the "prettiest girl in town." Very true, as she was the
only one of a marriageable age within a radius of ten miles.
Mrs. WOOD's daughter, Phoebe, married
Amos RICHARDSON; Maria became Mrs.
Chauncey PECK; and Esther, Mrs. Albert
Nancy VOSTER, wife of Abraham CRANMER,
was born in Amsterdam, Holland, in 1777. She is said to have
been a lady of culture and refinement. Her daughters were: Nancy
(Mrs. Rev. L.E. BEARDSLEY), Elizabeth
(Mrs. Wales STORRS), and Esther who
married Hiram MUNN, a local preacher of
the M.E. Church. Mrs. MUNN's four
daughters survive her: Frances A., Elizabeth, Rada A., and
Lillie. She was a staunch Methodist, and well fitted by her more
than ordinary gifts for active church work.
Northfield has within her borders three hamlets of historic
name, viz.: Macedonia, Little York, and Brandywine. At an early
day Brandywine was quite a thriving village. Various industries
were carried on by the WALLACE family.
There was the store, the woolen factory, the saw-mill, the
grist-mill, and the distillery, all in operation, requiring a
large force of employees.
It is said that in about 1816 the village of Brandywine
rivaled the village of Cleveland.
Mrs. Robert WALLACE, nee Elizabeth MENOUGH,
was one of the first pioneer women of Brandywine, coming in
1815. Her sister Harriet married Geo. WALLACE, another brother.
It is said they were the first couple married in Ohio, after it
was made a state. Mr. WALLACE lived in Cleveland as early as
1810, keeping a tavern, as they were then called. In 1818 he
settled in Brandywine, both he and his wife dying there. Mrs.
WALLACE was a faithful wife and mother. Her only daughter,
Emeline H., married Thomas WILSON, Summit
County's first sheriff. She died in 1840, aged 26 years.
Mrs. Isabella (WAUGH) MENOUGH was born
in Pennsylvania in 1762. She died in 1841. At the time of Hull's
surrender, she was living in Cleveland with her son-in-law,
George Wallace, Esq. They were hourly expecting an attack from
the British and Indians. While many were fleeing to a place of
safety she courageously remained, with her horse saddled in the
stable, saying she might be needed. True enough, for the house
was soon filled with sick and wounded soldiers of our own army,
who had been exchanged. Many, long years afterward, acknowledged
her kindness to them.
Mrs. John DUNCAN (Elizabeth McLEAN) was
one of the early settlers in 1815. She was a typical pioneer and
a charter member of the M.E. Church. She had a large family of
children, and used to have grave fears that her little boys
would be taken captive by the Indians; they were so numerous at
that time. Mrs. DUNCAN's daughters were
Mrs. William B. HUNT, Mrs. John
DOZENBURY, Mrs. Francis
WELCH, and Mrs. Bazzel VIERS.
Mrs. Abel D. HAVENS (Betsey
HILL) came in 1818. Her eldest daughter,
Eliza, married James McKISSON; Harried married Abner
Miss Wealthy BARNES taught school here
as early as 1819. She was a young woman of superior intellect,
beautiful character and a devout Christian.
Jane McCAGNE was the only daughter of Thomas and Rosanna (COYNE)
McCAGNE, coming with her parents is 1819 from Maryland. She
married Reuben BISHOP, and spent her
married life in Boston, Summit County. She is apparently
enjoying a serene and happy old age, with a host of friends, and
is a delight to them all. She loves to recount the incidents of
her girlhood days, and has given valuable data for this sketch.
The next year, 1820, came Mrs. A.S. HONEY
(Betsey EDWARDS) and family. Betsey HONEY
married Allen BURROUGHS in 1825. Her four
daughters are living on the Reserve.
Between the years of 1820 and 1830, several families settled
in the township, some of whom no traces of their descendants
could be found, so we can only give the family names of many of
There were the BURDICKS, GUYS, DEWEYS,
MILLS, JONES', SMITHS, McCLELLANDS,
HOLMES, SCOTTS, NICHOLS, COFFINS, and many others.
In 1824 Miss Jane MILLS came with her parents from Sligo,
Ireland, to Montreal, Can. In 1826 she came to Brandywine,
riding on horseback through the woods from Cleveland. She
married Robert DUNCAN in 1830. She was a kind, sympathetic
woman, ever ready to assist in sickness or trouble of any kind.
Two daughters survive her, Emily and Catherine (Mrs. J.E.
Mrs. Mollie (DEE) POST was born in
Saybrook, Conn., in 1772. She married Joshua POST in 1796.
Thirteen children were born to them, eleven daughters and two
sons. Mrs. POST remembered well her mother hiding her in a
hollow log for fear the British, during the war of 1776. They
came here at an early day. Mr. POST built the first bridge
across the Cuyahoga river. Mrs. POST was a brave, self-reliant
woman, living a long and useful life. Her daughter Mercy married
Pinckney BROWER. Mrs.
BROWER's daughter Ellen is the wife of Luman
LEACH, and resides here.
In the fall of 1831 Israel OZMUN and
wife (Lucy WOODRUFF) and two daughters
arrived from Lancing, N.Y. They resided her until 1852, removing
to North Bloomfield, Morrow County; Susannah married Lucius
TAYLOR, and removed to Fulton County;
Elizabeth is now the widow of Thaddeus OZMUN, of North
Bloomfield, to whom the writer is greatly indebted for valuable
information given for this work.
Mrs. Mercy (JUDD) WOODRUFF, mother of
Mrs. Lucy OZMUN, resided here in 1834, dying in her 94th year.
Miss Lucy HUTCHINS was one of the early
teachers. Her father lived in Macedonia and it is said he gave
the hamlet a name by writing to his friends in the east of the
great need of ministers in the new country, and urging them to
"come over to Macedonia and help them," and the name thus
suggested was adopted.
Mrs. David C. BACON (Jane
PRITCHARD) better known as "Aunt Jane,"
was married in 1828. Her father, James PRITCHARD, was the judge
of the court of Steubenville, and one of the framers of the
state constitution. She was a woman of great intelligence, and
being fond of reading, was well informed on the general topics
of the day. She was an ardent Methodist, one of the charter
members of the church. She was remarkably gifted in prayer and
exhortation. Her only daughter is the wife of Dr. B.F.
RAY of Burton.
Mrs. Benajah A. GEER (Julia A.
BIXBY), sister of the late Mrs. Philo
SCOVILL, was one of the pioneers of
Cleveland, was a kind, warm-hearted motherly woman. Having no
children, she kindly cared for her two nieces, Amanda and Mary
BIXBY, afterwards Mrs. James MILLER and
Mrs. William WHITNEY. Mrs. MILLER spent
many years of her married life here, highly esteemed by all. She
died at her home in Richfield, October, 1895.
Two brothers, Orrin and Hart TAYLOR, came from Massachusetts
in 1831, buying adjoining farms.
Mrs. Orrin TAYLOR (Anna STREET HALL)
had three daughters, Mrs. J.G. STANLEY,
Mrs. Robert CONKLING and Lucretia. Mrs.
Hart TAYLOR had one daughter, Mrs. John
The name of Mrs. Charles VIERS (Laura
PATTERSON) will be recognized as a
familiar one. She was an excellent woman, cheerfully bearing the
hardships incident to pioneer life. The mother of three
daughters, Theda, Eliza and Samantha. Mr. VIERS survives her,
over ninety years of age.
Early in the thirties, Mrs. Catherine
CRONINGER, a widow, much respected in the community, married
Robert McKISSON. She had one daughter, Lucinda. The sad
circumstances attending her death, on the night of July 24,
1837, are vividly remembered by many. She was the grandmother of
Mayor Robert E. McKISSON, of Cleveland.
Mrs. Samuel McKISSON (Susanna SHERRARD)
was an early resident here.
Amzi CHAPIN and Hannah
POWER were married October 10, 1800. The
family came here from Pennsylvania in 1831. Mr. CHAPIN was one
of the founders of the Presbyterian Church. The family was a
musical one. Mr. CHAPIN composed several tunes as early as 1820.
The daughters were: Jane (Mrs. Matthew WILSON),
Eunice (Mrs. John WILSON), Eliza (Mrs. John A.
MEANS), Rebecca (Mrs. Horace H. PALMER),
and Hannah (Mrs. John WILSON).
The same year brought Mrs. John NESBIT
(Ann MATTHEWS) from Pennsylvania. The four
daughters were: Martha (Mrs. Hamil ALEXANDER),
Esther (Mrs. Albert RINEAR), Mary Jane
(Mrs. Alexander McCONNELL), and Margaret (Mrs. Horace H.
The following came between 1830 and 1840: Mrs. Samuel
COON (Jennette DRENNEN),
Mrs. John MATTHEWS, Mrs. Samuel JOHNSON,
Mrs. Robert FREW, Mrs. Robert
GRAHAM, Mrs. James McELROY (Ruth NESBIT),
Mrs. John RAY (Eliza LESLIE), Mrs. William
NESBIT (Lucinda HUNGERFORD), Mrs. John
ARMSTRONG (Nancy COON), Mrs. Henry
DIESMAN (Letitia COULSON),
and many others worthy of mention, but limited space forbids.
Many names not appearing here will be found in the census of
pioneer women of the township.
Mrs. William WALLACE (Mary
CLARK) came from New Hampshire in 1832.
She was married in 1815. Her eldest daughter, Elizabeth, married
Wellington JOHNSON. Sallie and Margaret were successful teachers
for years. Mrs. WALLACE was a favorite with the young people.
She used to sing for them to dance when they were spending an
evening at her house.
Mrs. William LEMMON (Jane MATTHEWS)
came the same year from Pennsylvania. Two daughters were born to
her, Martha (Mrs. Robert Lee EWART) and
Sarah Jane, a lovely young woman, dying in early life. The
parents and eldest son were great sufferers from chronic
rheumatism, confining them to their beds for years.
Our pioneer mothers were true heroines, yet we suspect their
hearts often sank within them when brought face to face with the
trials and hardships they were often subjected to. Everything
was in such painful contrast to the homes of plenty and luxury,
oftentimes, they had left behind them.
In the summer of 1822 Hezekiah H. PALMER and family left
their home in Windsor, Conn., and started for Ohio in a covered
wagon, drawn by two yoke of oxen and a horse. Mrs. PALMER
(Abigail TAYLOR) spinning the linen for
the thirty-two yards of cloth covering the wagon. After six
weeks of weary journeying the village of Medina, O., consisting
of a few houses and a log court house, was reached. Mr. PALMER
left his family there and started in search of a farm,
purchasing one at Willoughby, O. In the summer of 1832 he
located in Northfield, building the first log house at the
center, in the wilderness. His wife was truly a helpmate, a
woman of great courage, energy, and perseverance. She died in
1875, aged 84 years.
Julia, the eldest daughter, married Linus
FITCH, being left a widow. She toiled hard to support her
family, following the vocation of weaving for many years.
Abigail T. was twice married, her husbands being B.F.
LILLIE and Joel
SWEETLAND. She was a capable, useful woman.
Emeline is now the widow of Ambrose W.
BLISS, who died July 1st, 1894, in his 88th year. She was
the first milliner and dressmaker in the town and her services
were often sought to fashion the bonnets and wedding dresses for
the belles of the town. She is one of the very few left to tell
the story of pioneer life, a life that had its sunshine mingled
with its shadows.
One daughter and three sons were born to her, the second son
dying in the late civil war, in 1863.
The names of Mrs. Mary PURKEY BAUM and
her daughters, Sarah, Mary, Martha and Elizabeth, Mrs. Resolved
PALMER, Mrs. McDONALD, Mrs. Mary Arthur
BATEMAN, Mrs. Francis CLERMION, and
her two sisters, Mrs. Horace CRITTENDEN
and Mrs. Moses DRAPER, and Mrs. Daniel
BROWER, a kind mother of a gentle
retiring nature, are familiar names. They are all held in
Mrs. Albert HUNT, whose maiden name
was Betsy JOHNSON, was a native of Massachusetts. She was the
mother of five daughters; they were Mrs.
REESER, Mrs. Abner WALTON, Mrs.
Joseph BREEN, Mrs. Eben
BUTTERFIELD, and Mrs. David
CRANMER, all true, good women.
Laura (WEEKS) BLISS and her husband,
Lucien BLISS, came about 1832 from Vermont. They belonged to a
band of Methodists who used to gather in the log cabins for
their prayer meetings, and in the log school house for services
on the Sabbath. Both were active in founding and supporting the
church, throughout their lives. Two daughters were born to them.
Associated with "Aunt Laura" in the mind of the writer are
three other godly women, Mrs. STANLEY,
Mrs. MUNN, and Mrs.
BACON, all pioneer Methodists, all alike gifted in prayer
and song. Perhaps their singing would have grated harshly on a
cultured ear, yet it was soul-stirring and inspiring, and it may
at least be said that "they sang with the Spirit." These women
were life-long friends and all are sleeping in "Chestnut Hill
cemetery" in Northfield.
Betsey ELMER married Josiah
JOHNSON in Buckland, Mass., and in 1833
left for a home in the then far west, locating in Northfield.
Their seven daughters were Festa (Mrs. Samuel
WARE), Emily (Mrs. Roderick O. DWIGHT),
Sylvia (Mrs. Josiah BUELL), Betsey (Mrs.
Theodosius WOOD), Juliette (Mrs. Ira W.
BRITTAIN), Clarissa (Mrs. Hooker TAYLOR),
and Ellen Maria married Daniel PROCTOR.
Mrs. Zera GRAHAM (Clarissa TAYLOR)
came from the same town the next year. There were four daughters
in her family, Eliza (Mrs. Timothy BLACKMAN),
Abigail (Mrs. Shepherd HONEY), Jane and
Maria, an adopted daughter. Mrs. BLACKMAN and Mrs. HONEY had
each a daughter, Estelle and Cynthia.
Prior to 1840 there were four churches in the township. The
M.E. society was organized July 21, 1831, with eighteen members.
Meeting were held in the dwellings and school houses until 1836,
when a church was built.
The Presbyterian Church was erected in 1834; Rev. Mr.
HANFORD was the first minister.
The United Presbyterian Society was formed in 1833, with
fourteen members and a church built in 1837, with Rev. Joseph
BANKS as pastor. In 1835 a Free Will
Baptist Church was built at Macedonia.
Mrs. Geo. LILLIE (Martha ARNOLD) came
from Jerico, Vt., with her family in 1833. They were gladly
welcomed, being the second family at the center. Mrs. LILLIE was
a cheerful, energetic woman, patiently enduring the privations
of early days in the new country. Her eldest daughter, Maria, is
Mrs. Erastus TUCKER, of Lyons, Iowa.
Martha married Ira CARTER, dying some
years since in Iowa. Mrs. LILLIE died in Wheatland, Iowa, at an
Hannah (YOUNG) LILLIE, or Grandma
LILLIE, as she was called, was born in Hebron, Conn., 1778. She
came here from Vermont in 1833 to live with her son, Geo.
LILLIE, Esq. She was a woman of great intelligence and decision
of character. She was a favorite with the boys and girls who
were never happier than when in grandma's room listening to her
stories. She lived 86 years.
Mrs. Orrin BISHOP (Celina LILLIE),
daughter of Hannah YOUNG LILLIE,
accompanied her mother from Vermont. She had the honor of being
the first landlady in the place. After Mr.
BISHOP's death she married George M.
SEIDEL. She was a cheerful, social woman, fond of flowers
and very successful in their culture.
Her sister, Diana, married William
Another sister, Huldah, married Dr. Hosea BLISS, of Jerico,
Vt., coming here in 1834. He was the first resident physician in
the township. He practiced over forty years, until age
prevented. Aunt Huldah was a woman of great tact, kind and
sympathetic, always having a word of cheer for everyone.
Her only daughter, Mary, married James
LESLIE. She was beloved by all.
Mrs. Robert ALEXANDER (Jane
KNOX), coming from Pennsylvania the same
year, was one of the quiet, home-loving women, generous and
kind. She was the mother of two daughters, Elizabeth and Mary.
Several families came about this time, by the name of
TAYLOR, from Massachusetts. There was
Mrs. Levi TAYLOR (Betsey BUTLER) with two
daughters, Betsey (TAYLOR) LEE, and
Cynthia (TAYLOR) ORCUTT; Mrs. Henry
TAYLOR (Polly WILDER), and Mrs. Consider
and Samuel TAYLOR. They were all earnest Christian women.
Mrs. Elijah STORRS came to Macedonia
in 1834, from Westport, N.Y. Harriet STORRS married Henry
DUNBAR; Maria, James
COATS; and Eliza, Charles RAYNOLDS.
Other families settled in Macedonia about the same time, coming
from Schroon, N.Y. There was Mrs. Elisha (POTTER)
GRISWOLD, Mrs. Levi (GRISWOLD) DRESSER,
Mrs. Albert (EVEREST) WYMAN, Mrs. Elmira
(EVEREST) BUSWELL, and Mrs. Erastus (ARMSTEAD)
BELDEN. Coming later was Mrs. Lyman
FOSTER (Minerva EVEREST), the kind, devoted mother of four
daughters, Armanda, Sarah Jane, Rada and Amelia.
Roby SCRIPTURES married Hezekiah
LANFORD in 1825, at fourteen years of
age, coming here from New York State. In 1875 their "golden
wedding" was celebrated, and in 1885, the rare event of the
"sixtieth" wedding anniversary.
Adeline HANCHETT, daughter of Hiram
and Mary (SMITH) HANCHETT, married James
W. WALLACE in 1835. Two daughters were
born to her, Mary E. and Margaret S. The fifty years of her
married life were spent in Brandwine and Macedonia. She was a
life-long member of the Presbyterian Church, and, being quite
endowed with many admirable qualities, was endeared to a large
circle of friends.
She died in 1885. Her only sister, Mary, is the widow of Gen.
W.F. RAYNOLDS, who died at his home in Detroit, October 18,
1894. Mrs. HAYNOLDS has been an invalid
for many years, and now resides with her niece, Mrs. Henry
HAMILTON, in Washington, D.C.
Mrs. Ira RICHARDSON, Mrs. William
SANFORD and Mrs. Pardon A.
BROOKS (Lavinia LILLIE) all came from
Bethel, Vt., in 1835. Fannie (BROOKS) LEE,
Olivia (BROOKS) LESLIE, and Hattie (BROOKS)
BARBER, are the daughters.
Mrs. James HILL came from Ligonier,
Pa. She had four daughters, Rachel (Mrs. Samuel
MILLER), Elizabeth, the wife of Prof.
George CLARK of Mt. Union College, Sarah
Polly HILL, sister of James, married Benjamin DE
Mrs. Robert VAN HORN, whose maiden
name was Catherine COON, was married in
1833, coming here in 1837. She was one of the devoted Christian
mothers, quiet and unassuming. Her only daughter, Ann Jane,
married Joseph BOYD. She survives him.
Another woman held in loving remembrance is Mrs. Harriet (MILLER)
WALKER. Being left an orphan she found a home in the family
of her uncle, Rev. Joseph BANKS of
Philadelphia. Here she was kindly reared and educated. She
married John WALKER in 1834, spending her married life in
Northfield. She was a noble woman, "given to hospitality and
Were we to speak of the social life of our mothers and
grandmothers, it would only be a repetition of what others have
written. They had the same social gatherings, the paring-bee,
the husking-bee, the quilting party, and the singing school, and
when the "new frame house" was completed, a party would often be
given, called a "housewarming," to which all the young people
would be invited. There was no exclusiveness; all were in the
same social scale, and all were looking forward to the better
days coming, and they surely did come. After a few years of hard
labor, the forest gave place to fruitful fields of waving grain,
beautiful meadows and orchards. Churches and school houses were
built, and everything betokened thrift and prosperity.
Early in the thirties there were several families living in
Little York. Among them we find the name of Mrs. John D.
CROSS (Electa COOK),
who was one of the truly good women, kind and hospitable. Two
daughters survive her, Mrs. Thomas HARDING
and Mrs. Emory THOMPSON. Lydia
CORNELL married Marvin
FORD. Her daughters were Clarissa and Lovena.
Phila COOK came from Massachusetts in 1831. Her first husband
was Silas WOOD, second George
LEACH. Her daughter, Eliza, married
Theron WILLIAMS and Edward
WHIPPLE. Clarissa married Allen
INGERSOLL and S.
GAYLORD. Lydia is Mrs. Conrad SCHOCH.
Mrs. Aaron THOMPSON (Elita LEACH) was one of the deserving
women whose life was made up of good deeds. She lived a long and
useful life, leaving four daughters, Mrs.
HEALY, Mrs. CLARK, Mrs. Henry BISSELL,
and Mrs. Henry BROWER.
Mrs. Mary J. (COOPER) LOGUE was born
in 1820, in Baltimore, Md. She was married to Rev. James W.
LOGUE in 1843, who was the pastor of the Associate, now the
United Presbyterian Church in Cleveland. The same year he
removed to Northfield, becoming pastor of the United
Presbyterian Church. He continued a successful pastorate of
forty years, resigning in 1883, revered by all. Mrs. LOGUE was
an ideal wife and mother. She was of inestimable value to her
husband as a wise counselor and helper during his long ministry.
She was the honored president of the "Soldiers' Aid Society"
during the war. Of the five children given them, three are
living, Jennie C., the wife of Rev. Dr. W.T.
CAMPBELL, of Monmouth, Ill.; Judge Joseph T. LOGUE of
Cleveland; and Rev. James R. LOGUE of Washington, Iowa. Mr.
LOGUE died in 1888. Mr. LOGUE died in 1894. They sleep together
in the rural cemetery in Northfield, leaving a fragrant memory
in the hears of the people.
Our pioneer mothers! How plainly they have left the impress
of their footsteps on the sands of time! They were faithful to
their mission, sowing the seeds of virtue, industry, love of
home and country in the hearts of their children, and may we,
their children and grandchildren, cherish and emulate the
shining example they have left us.
But few of the brave pioneers are left.
"Only a few, with weak and faltering tread,"
O'er the rough ways of suffering and age,
To bivouac ground of rest, so green and deep.
Miss Ellen BLISS Chairman and Historian Northfield Committee
- Mrs. J.A. BOYD, Mrs. J.W. COLWELL, Mrs. Luman LEACH, Miss